Village House for sale in Charente
South Charente. Magnificent village property. Outbuildings. Pool. Half-acre grounds.
Charente, Village House
|Property type:||Village House|
In the historic heart of a charming village with restaurant, overlooking rolling countryside to the rear and the ancient village church to the front, this carefully restored and exceptionally spacious 3-4 bedroomed house stands behind magnificent stone entrance pillars. It is rich in authentic period character combined with modern comforts such as efficient central heating (some underfloor), a water softener, and a new roof. Lovely pool. Extensive outbuildings ripe for conversion. Well away from main roads, this exceptional property offers proximity to village life whilst retaining a good amount of privacy.The renovation work carried out in recent years has restored all the period charm and authenticity to the property. Character features abound: original stone fireplaces, hallway flagstones and oak or chestnut planked floors, exposed beams, doors remade using reclaimed wood, decoration in traditional colours.......The very spacious reception rooms are laid out in such a way as to allow one to be used as a ground floor bedroom if required. The outbuildings, all reroofed completely in 1999, cover a total of about 400m² and offer much potential. One of the barns was in the past granted outline permission for a three-bedroomed guest cottage, whilst another, with a concreted floor, has housed a collection of vintage cars and signs. Ideal as an art studio, craft workshop, music room, bric-a-brac or antiques store etc....... and the main house offers excellent potential to create a luxury B&B.The village is surrounded by marked out footpaths and all-terrain bike trails. The sleepy appearance of the traditional buildings belies a dynamic local community which enjoys a good choice of activities and events throughout the year. Angoulême, administrative and historic capital of the Charente, is less than half an hour by car and offers a TGV station on the Paris-Bordeaux line.
- Price FAI *: 290,000€
- Taxe foncière: 1,400€
- Land: 2,747m² (0.7 acres)
- Living space: 300m²
- Living room: 60m²
- Entrance hall of a generous width, with original clay floor tiles.
- Living Room almost 60m², a splendid room with a fireplace.
- Sitting room of 40m², polished local stone floor with underfloor heating.
- Dining Room 35m², could be used as a study or downstairs bedroom
- Kitchen 50m² including pantry area. A delightful 'country kitchen', practical but not over-modernised
- Utility room in the form of a corridor leading to the garden. Underfloor heating makes this a cozy bedroom for dogs or cats!
- Shower Room(s) with WC
- Separate WC
- Landing : wide enough to be used as a study.
- 2 Bedroom(s) : one enormous room (35m²) plus one smaller room under the eaves, suitable as child's bedroom or dressing room.
- 1 Bedroom with ensuite shower : an impressive master suite of almost 50m²
- 1 Bathroom(s) , a stylish and spacious room with art déco washbasin and antique roll top bath
- Outside lighting
- Broadband Internet
Energy Efficiency Ratings
- 103 Consommation énergétique (en énergie primaire) => Class C
- 11 Emission de gaz à effet de serre => Class C
- Based on actual energy bills (NB: rating to be taken with a pinch of salt as the house was not fully heated for part of the winter season).
- Water Softening Device
- Fireplace(s) Beautiful original stone fireplaces to all the main rooms
Gite / guest house
- potential to create gite(s) by converting the barn(s). Planning permission was granted in the past for a 3-bed guest house.
- Workshop adjoining the house, approx 100m². Houses the boiler and oil tank.
- Basement / Cellar underneath the workshop.
- Garage(s) Ample garage space in the barns (clean, concrete-floored area could house up to 8 cars)
- Patio : a wooden, raised covered deck next to the swimming pool and enjoying lovely views of the rolling countryside.
- Outbuildings In addition to the large barns, there are smaller stone outbuildings suitable as garden stores
- 3 Barn The three barns offer tremendous potential. One has housed a classic car and sign collection, another could be converted into a three-bedroomed guest annex.
- Entrance gate(s) Both the vehicle and pedestrian entrances are flanked by magnificent stone pillars
- Enclosed - all the land is totally enclosed by fencing or walls and is thus secure for animals or children.
- Courtyard in front of the house, with a feature pond in the centre
- Parkland privately situated behind the buildings, housing the swimming pool and raised seating area and giving onto open countryside
- Vegetable Garden sheltered by a low stone wall.
- Well with a working pump
- Fruit trees including a lovely old cherry tree which shades the rear park and gives abundant fruit
- Countryside View from the rear park and pool area
- Garden View The house has a southerly aspect and enjoys views over the courtyard, without being overlooked
- View of the Village and the ancient church, from the front courtyard
- Tiles : both house and outbuildings were re-roofed in 1999.
- Septic Tank - all waste water. : Requires some updating work to meet current regulations. Latest inspection report awaited.
- In Ground 12m x 6m with Roman steps and wooden decking around. Privately set in the rear park.
- Pool House in one of the small outbuildings
- Within walking distance (<1km) : Restaurant
- Local shops < 5 min : The next village, 3kms away, has small general stores, café and bread sales.
- Main shops & services >10 min : Barbezieux or Montmoreau, each about 15 minutes.
Nearest Train station (Dept.)
- Chalais (16) : for southbound trains (towards Bordeaux)
- Montmoreau (16) : for trains bound north to Angoulême
Nearest TGV station (Dept.)
- Angoulême (16) : on Paris - Bordeaux TGV line.
- La Rochelle
* Notaire's fees are extra. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on this web site is current and informative. However, Euro Immobilier Chalais does not guarantee or warrant that information on this website is accurate or complete and makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of the site or the information, content or details disclosed on this site.